Skip to content

Employment-based visas for US entry

Permanent and temporary employment options

Companies, entrepreneurs and investors, as well as employees and executives, rely on our specialist advice on US immigration when they are looking to relocate to the United States themselves or bring in foreign talent – whether to expand a business or start a new one.

We act for businesses and individuals working in a wide variety of sectors, from the creative and entertainment industries (film, music, art, sports), to technology, finance, manufacturing, healthcare, logistics and more.

Work visas for employees, executives and investors

Our US immigration specialists will help you achieve your business and personal objectives smoothly and effectively with a considered legal strategy, whether you need to apply for a work or investor visa yourself, or arrange US visas for employees and executives. Our services cover:

  • E-1 Treaty Trader and E-2 Treaty Investor visa
  • EB-5 Immigrant Investor visa
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation visa
  • L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager visa
  • L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge visa
  • Employment-Based Immigration visa (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4)
  • Any other US immigration options that might be open to you – contact us to find out about potential eligibility

FAQs about US work visas

Employment-based immigrant visas for the US are available under five categories: priority workers and persons of extraordinary ability (E-1); professionals holding advanced degrees and persons of exceptional ability (E-2); skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers (E-3); certain special immigrants (E-4); and immigrant investors (E-5).

To discover be sure of your eligibility for these work visas, it’s best to consult a specialist US immigration attorney as the criteria are complex and specific – for example, an E-4 visa has 19 very specific subgroups within the category, including certain employees of the US Government abroad, certain retired NATO-6 civilians, and Iraqi and Afghan interpreters and translators.

As a rule, you will need a passport that is valid for six months beyond your intended entry date, a form DS-260 Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, two 2×2 photographs that meet specific format criteria, civil documents including birth and marriage certificates, evidence of financial support, and completed medical examination forms.

The current fees for applying for a work visa are:

  • I-140 / I-360 filing fee: $700 / $435
  • Processing DS-260: $345
  • Affidavit of Support fee: $120
  • Medical examination and vaccinations: cost varies
  • Other costs may be incurred in translation, photocopying, obtaining certified copies of civil documents, and travel expenses – these will vary
  • You will also have to pay a USCIS immigrant fee of $220 before travelling to the US
  • Immigration attorney fee. Contact us for a fixed fee, no obligation quote.

Because there are limited numbers of employment-based immigrant visas in each category, the length of time taken for each case to be processed varies. The best strategy is to make sure all forms are filled in accurately and processes followed – the advice and support of a US immigration specialist attorney is invaluable here.

Once your petition is approved, your spouse and any unmarried children under 21 may apply for immigrant visas. These are visas for the dependents of the primary applicant of an employment-based visa. If you’d like to find out more about our family services, for family-based visa applications, visit our ‘US immigration for families’ page.

Yes, you will have an interview scheduled once your file has been determined complete; that file will be sent to the US Embassy or Consulate where your interview will be held, and you will receive full instructions on what you must bring and do, as well as the date, time and location – as will your attorney and any third party agent.

You will need to take a valid passport with you, and you must have already undertaken your medical examination and any required vaccinations. You will have ink-free digital fingerprint scans taken on the day of your interview, and you will generally receive your original civil documents (and any original translations) back that day too.

It’s important that you complete a medical examination, and have any required vaccinations, before your visa interview. You must have this medical undertaken by an authorized physician. It might be possible to get a medical or vaccination waiver, depending on your circumstances.

Expert advice on US immigration

Contact us today for our advice on US immigration – we aim to be back in touch within one working day.